Friday, June 29, 2012

Repents of a shopaholic.


I am a person who knows where most of my things come from. Oh my ring is from...my shirt is from...my shoes are from...

I like to think it is because I really do love and respect my apparels a lot. Even though some of them are hand-me-downs, really cheap, not that my style anymore, I still want to wear them till their lifespan ends. And by that, I mean till they grow a hole.

And everybody know, growing a hole is not that easy. My pink Minnie Mouse shirt has survived 12 years and is still serving me well. Although sometimes I do complain about when can I throw it away, ultimately I know I will never have the heart to do so.

And today, my VJ shorts finally breathed its last. It decided to "hole" on my butt. My mum tried to revive it but to no avail. I mean the hole is at my butt and the area around it was shearing. So now, it is buried in the grave of rags.

I don't really want my shorts to just "die" like this. And to commemorate its death, I decided to preach. And you are thinking "WHAT!"

Personally, I think we are all too into consumerism. If we just pause and think a while, we have everything that we need. And so I beseech all of us to "buy less". Just buy what you need, and wear what you already have. I know everybody wants to be "in". But being fashionable doesn't mean you have to be always be part of a trend that owns everything. Some clothes doesn't look that "fantabulous" on you anyway.

You may say I am "miserly". And yes I admit, at this point of time I don't like to spend. I used to buy a lot of crap I don't need. And now I look at them, I feel bad. It is like using them to fulfill my own material happiness. And to obtain my own shallow and not even lasting happiness, I cut them off the life they could have lead. (Plants that are killed when they could be dancing with the wind/ Animals that died when they could be happily singing in the meadows.)

And so now I think, at least let them die for a more worthy cause. So I try to love them to death till us part.

Recycling is a good way. I tend to recycle paper.
Plastic is one thing I feel extremely guilty thrashing. I always cast lingering looks at the pens I tossed into the bin. Don't really know what to do with their covers either.
Clothes can be recycled I guess. But I really don't know what Salvation Army do to them. If they will be living a life being unwanted or thrown, I would rather personally find a better home for them. Or really love them till they bid me "adios" which is possibly the easier way out.

I have now officially enough clothes to last me 3 years or more. It's crazy. 

I miss my VJ shorts. Parting is still sorrowful. The last thing I should do is find a replacement for it. Yea.
No more buying of shorts...until I hole the next 5 pairs...

It's hard. It's hard. I keep telling myself: No more. No more.
Use whatever we have now before buying new replacement. 
And I have successfully brainwashed myself into thinking "I have to account for everything I buy." So if I don't want to be accountable for them being unloved and forgotten, just put it back onto the shelf. Being a great commitment-phobic, this is the best method so far. 

So let's all think before we buy.
Stopping wastage of resources starts from you.
( -.- sounds like some recycling/ go green slogan)

May my VJ shorts rest in peace. 
You have been worn at least once a week for the past 4 years. 
You were worn constantly and felt human warmth.
You were never tossed aside, only into the wash basket.
You went through the toughest and most beautiful moments with your owner who nearly died from her 2.4 km runs and physically-demanding PE. You slept through the worse nightmares with her and also the sweetest daydreams. You protected her butt from all sort of dirt. You were practically her black knight in a soft, comfy armour. You had a romantic, intimate affair with her underwear. Tsk. So much contact.
You have led the life which every pair of shorts ever wanted.
You have lived the life.
Now it is time to move on (and let me hole another pair.)
Amen.
Let's all observe one minute silence.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...